ChiChronicles

notes from a journey through Chicago's cultural landscape...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

...this is not about me, this is about my city - a living document of Chicago's art's scene, a memoir of concerts I've been to & performances I've seen, a jaded scribe's small sampling of the many offerings of this vibrant cosmopolitan city that I'm lucky enough to call home. I work the city as the city works me, all of us connected in varying degrees, here i pay tribute to our evolving soundtrack, I plug praiseworthy endeavors & try to give a little back... Together with my peers we paint this crossroads with every shade we can find, in your mediums & mine, i run with deep house deviants & wrinkled blues cats, youngun' b-boy crews & quirky circus brats, snobby eclectic DJs & electric painters laboring on projected displays, film makers armed with mini-DVs & picky chefs sculpting tricky masterpieces out of vegan grease... i kick it with slam poets & theater geeks, powerbook producers & fashionista freaks, photoshop fellowships & choreographer hips, while jazz cats blow digital epics through pursed bebop lips... i'm at the nexus of the next wave of Chicago sound - this is where i share the stories of all the beauty I've found...

Monday, May 09, 2005

Crate Digging 101

Scored a $100 gift certificate to Coconuts Music from a low key DJ gig...
...spent an hour flipping through stacks of overpriced sounds...

Yo - the conscious way to buy records is direct from the artist or their record label, or from establishments that are NOT chain megastores, because by supporting independant retailers, music consumers keep the variety of what's available diverse and unaffected by the industry's pervasive monopolistic commercial agenda. Today I strayed from that path and bought a bunch of disks from Coconuts, the embodiment of a bloated corporate media outlet, whose world music selection was painfully small and woefully mislabeled. They also stuck it way in the back section of the store where no one ever goes, next to "New Age." So sad. Infuriating, really. But I ended up with some hot afro-centric albums for this mix I'm working on, look for a SOLID compilation of free Afro-Beat @ this month's Bombay Beatbox night @ Sonotheque. Here's what I picked up today:
Salif Keita - Remixes from Moffou (SICK!!!)
The Best of Fela Kuti - (2 Disk used set for $14 - DEAL!)
Angelique Kidjo - Black Ivory Soul
Ry Cooder & Ali Farka Toure - Talking Timbuktu
In the Mode - Roni Size/Reprazent
Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Journey of Dreams
Lo Fidelity Allstars - How To Operate With A Blown Mind
Nitin Sawhney - Prophecy
Talvin Singh presents Anokha (3rd time i've bought this...the best music always grows legs and walks...)


life's good when i have a stack of fresh sounds to explore...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home