ChiChronicles

notes from a journey through Chicago's cultural landscape...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

...this is not about me, this is about my city - a living document of Chicago's art's scene, a memoir of concerts I've been to & performances I've seen, a jaded scribe's small sampling of the many offerings of this vibrant cosmopolitan city that I'm lucky enough to call home. I work the city as the city works me, all of us connected in varying degrees, here i pay tribute to our evolving soundtrack, I plug praiseworthy endeavors & try to give a little back... Together with my peers we paint this crossroads with every shade we can find, in your mediums & mine, i run with deep house deviants & wrinkled blues cats, youngun' b-boy crews & quirky circus brats, snobby eclectic DJs & electric painters laboring on projected displays, film makers armed with mini-DVs & picky chefs sculpting tricky masterpieces out of vegan grease... i kick it with slam poets & theater geeks, powerbook producers & fashionista freaks, photoshop fellowships & choreographer hips, while jazz cats blow digital epics through pursed bebop lips... i'm at the nexus of the next wave of Chicago sound - this is where i share the stories of all the beauty I've found...

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Spun @ the Lake & the Blue Lotus Tribe @ the Bungalow

Had a night of epiphanies on this evening of full moon madness. Swung by the Foster Beach lakefront and spent the early evening with my friend Mercedes, watching the members of Spun Chicago dance with flaming poi, flaming whips, flaming hula hoops, and assorted pyromaniac toys. Watching the members of this troupe perform felt like a revelation, in that I've been looking for a group like this my entire life. All my martial arts training, all my weapons work, all of those hours have been dedicated not to the actual use of these skills, but in the pursuit of some kind of movement that is beautiful for its own sake, a form of dance that focuses on spirals and is rooted in an aesthetic of burning flow... Watching this show felt like coming home to old friends... Quite simply, there is nothing sexier than watching a man and woman dance while carrying brightly burning, intensely hot bolts of flaming rope, their bodies entwined in fire and circles, a vision of limbs and skin pulsing while framed in otherworldly heat... It was a meditation in spirals, all while an open jam of drummers colored the evening with what i'll have to characterize as hippy drumming. It was a tight performance, and the visual impressions left by this group are burned into my mind... I'll be delivering some custom tracks for them to perform to very soon, in particular a hip hop track I've been working on for awhile now that will soon be a music video featuring Spun:
Vectors
..."we be vectors, protectors of the circle of life,
collectors of the vinyl that's the nectar of nights:
we be vessels:
specters filled with liquid lovelight:
reflectors of the future with the flaming foresight..."

After the Spun show wound down at around 10:30 pm, me and Mercedes headed to the Bungalow to catch my favorite crew of belly dancers perform with DJ Madrid & Fluxcore. I'd never been to the Bungalow before, on Belmont & Ashland, but I was really impressed with the place and its decor and vibe. Totally worth checking out. Got to kick it with the inimitable Audrey Sica & Chris from the Blue Lotus Tribe, decked out in thousand dollar outfits and shaking what their mama gave them to the selections of DJ Madrid. Got to dance for a bit with them, which is always a lot of fun...
hip drops amongst the House flocks-
trading funky moves from dancer's private stocks-
summer sweat & july thump-
release from it all each time those beats go BUMP...

check out the Bungalow sometime if you're in that hood, it's a nice little bar with good taste in DJs, as far as I can tell...

Related Links:
www.bluelotustribe.org (Audrey&Chris's Bellydance troupe)
http://www.encroach.net/info/show_docs/pages_2004/full_moon.html (SpunImages)
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/11660923 (the Bungalow Lounge Bar)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home